Bloggin' with AscentStudios

Join Alex's epic journey as he experiences the trials, tribulations, thrills and chills as an RPG designer...

Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Well, I Did It

$929 down the drain. My new system consists of:

AMD Athlon 64 3.5+ Ghz CPU
1 GB Kingston Dual Channel 400 Mhz DDR RAM
KT-8 AV8 socket 939 motherboard
EVGA GeForce 6800 GT + 256 MB DDR RAM
200 GB Western Digital UDMA 133 IDE HD
30 GB Maxtor UDMA 133 HD
Soundblaster Live! Value sound card
Unknown brand case with 425W power supply
19" KDS CRT monitor
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Mouse Pro
Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard

Keep in mind that the nearly $1000 makes up only the first 4 items on the list. If we count my case replacement in August, I've spent exactly a grand on my computer in the last 3 months. And that doesn't count the cost of Half-Life 2, or all the other games I've got on sale lately.

This is by far the best system I've ever had. To show you the difference, I will post screenies of a "before" and "after" comparison. I'm stoked.

It's a damn fine time to be a nerd.

Left my heart in San Francisco
I'm also back from a whirlwind business trip to the City on the Bay. What a great place - too bad I didn't get a chance to enjoy it. I was only in town one night after 8 pm, had dinner, went to bed, had a full-day class, went straight to the airport, and was on my way home less than 24 hours later. I didn't even get a chance to see Scott (Morgenstern) or meet Mike (Mischief) while I was in the region. What a drag. Guess I'll have to go back.

You know what the coolest thing about San Francisco is? I love the diversity of the people, the closeness to the water, but the thing I really think is awesome is the aesthetic coherency of it all. A lot of downtown reflects a 20's - 40's art deco sensibility that meshes so pleasantly with the Spanish-influenced designs along the Embarcadaro, the row houses of Nob Hill, cozy turn of the century storefronts of Northbeach and glittering spires of the Financial District. Like the people of the city, it blends a historical and aesthetic diversity together in a way that is uniquely pleasing and awe-inspiring at times. Cool place - I'll definately be going back, sooner rather than later if I have a say.

Geekend 3: This time, it's not Geekend II
Once again, another installment of the much-beloved Geekend series approacheth...possibly. Still working out the details on that front, but nonetheless, it's exciting. This is rapidly becoming a bi-annual tradition of getting togther for a weekend at my home, playing wargames, video games and RPGs, driking heavily and eating poorly. Always a great time. Now I need to find a corporate sponsor and we'll be set.

Hmm...sounds like a good basis for a con...hmmm, I say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home