Bloggin' with AscentStudios

Join Alex's epic journey as he experiences the trials, tribulations, thrills and chills as an RPG designer...

Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Thursday, November 03, 2005

A Week of Geeky Revelations

And now, the Geek Heirarchy Chart.

Classic. Now I wonder, where do RPG writers fit in - at the amateur writers or slashfic writers level? God I hope we're not in the furry slashfic category...

Battlestar Galactica
Once again, I must eat crow with regards to my TV watching snobbishness; while I thought nothing could stop the original BSG series of my youth, I was wrong. The new incarnation is REALLY GODDAMN GOOD. I'm mighty impressed with the direction the series creators have taken the original vision and incorporated it into what could have been a very generic military sci-fi show. Like Firefly, the characters are well-rendered and interesting (though not nearly as entertaining), the action exciting and well-balanced with the drama, and the metaplot is even stronger. Truly, this is an excellent TV series and worth your time.

Nuptuals Update
Progress on that front is strong - site's reserved, dress is purchased, wedding party and deacon chosen, save the date cards are out, we just saved $750 on invitations with our new vendor, and we've booked our photographer. I have to give much props to my lovely fiancee for all her hard work (and her family for all their investment) in getting this done - now there's only like 30 things on our list left to do :) It boggles the mind how complicated these things get - and we have one of the simpler weddings I've ever seen.

Oh, and guys, when you decide to get married? My advice is to figure out what your spouse-to-be really wants out of the wedding and do that. Every guy I've known has wanted exactly the same thing out of his wedding - to be married the day afterwards. But she'll have a vision, even if she didn't start with one, and it's your job to make sure she gets it within reason. Of course, if you believe strongly in something you should say so, but at the same time you need to play her right hand man and affirm her decisions without acting bored or pissed off (all mistakes I have made). You need to be open with her and keep her from turning into Bridezilla, because even though she may act that way, she really doesn't want to BE that way. If you can't do those things, or they just don't seem to be working out, I don't think you have much business being married.

I find that weddings become a litmus test of how well the couple works together - they apply the right level of stress to test communication, teamwork, money management and affection. I think Becky and I are doing pretty damn well - we're getting our processes straight, things are getting done, and we're working better as a team. Now to decide where in NZ and Australia we should be going for the honeymoon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home