Bloggin' with AscentStudios

Join Alex's epic journey as he experiences the trials, tribulations, thrills and chills as an RPG designer...

Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Developer's Digest - Designing a Class from Scratch Part I: Planning
So yesterday I received my copy of the Dragonstar Starfarer's Guide, graciously passed along by Will Hindmarch, so I can get started on designing some classes for the new book he's putting together for the line, and I thought, 'This is the perfect time to share some of my insights into class design from the beginning.' Since I'm coming into Dragonstar totally cold, this might be a good opportunity to bring you all in.

First thing is to come up with a theme. Typically, the project manager hands you an outline of the book which contains major themes of the book and often a list of classes he/she would like to see. In this case, Will has provided me with 4 archetypes for the book that I should work to, as well as core classes that might provide good entry points (ALWAYS try to make this more than 1). Each theme needs to be distinct both mechanically and in presentation, so I generally brainstorm a series of subthemes based both on the prestige class's 'schtick', as well as the base classes that might provide the best paths for entry. If I'm stuck for subthemes, I may also do a little research on the Internet, at the library or watch a themed movie to broaden my idea base.

So for example, when I was developing the illuminati for The European Commonwealth, I first decided that I wanted a behind the scenes power broker. Subthemes of this idea were 'soft' power sources, such as finance and political wrangling, as well as the 'secret society' elements tied with the group's mythology (which I found after doing a good spot of reading on the actual group and watching The Skulls and The Contender). Further, I decided good class entry points would be the faceman, spin doctor and pointman, so I looked at how each of these agent types would change the way the illuminati class works in play - a faceman/illuminati would be the most shadowy type; the spin doctor/illuminati would be all about deception, twisting the truth and deflecting attention from his superiors; and the pointman/illuminati might be a financial wizard extrordinaire, an invisible man with the power to throw his weight around and make others do his bidding.

With subthemes in place, I start looking at the rest of the book to make the class really jive. I like to make classes that play with the rules presented in the book as well, so I read through the outline and see what, if anything, jumps out at me (You can see this theme with many of the prestige classes in the upcoming Faceman/Snoop Class Guide, which have many class abilities that interlock with specific rulesets scattered throughout the book, such as forensic investigation, profiling and psychology). Ultimately, this brings the entire book into play for the player and the GM, as they are using many different sections of the book to play their characters, and creates a richer gaming experience IMHO.

The next step is to learn about the line. It really is amazing how many prospective designers for Spycraft come in with classes that use Disable Device (turned into Mechanics in SC) or Animal Empathy (removed) in their skill lists. All that proves is that they have never seriously looked at the line they want to work on, and gets them a swift kick in the butt out the door. :) So I start out by reading the historical overview in the front of the book, all the classes (base and prestige), and the miscellaneous rules sections that might apply to the particular theme I'm working towards (in this case, rules on starships, trade, and so forth). I need to find out how these classes can mechanically work in the system and setting they are encompassed by. I find it's easier to get a broad theme for a class then work it back into the setting instead of looking at the setting and then making classes that fit it with jobs like this, but the door really swings both ways.

Now, with my reading done, my general and specific ideas in place and an idea of how it all ties into the game itself, I'm ready for the nitty gritty of designing the class - which is going to have to wait for another time :) Part II should contain some notes I make as I actually design a class and the decisions i make based on these broad ideas. More as it develops.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home