Bloggin' with AscentStudios

Join Alex's epic journey as he experiences the trials, tribulations, thrills and chills as an RPG designer...

Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Thursday, June 26, 2003

Hey there!

Welcome to my stupid little spot in the massive nebula of blogs popping up on the web. I've built this dumb little place where I can share the fascinating details of life as a game designer (freelance of course) and talk about cool stuff I think of as I go. There probably won't be too much going on here, that this will remain on-topic most of the time, or that I will update it frequently, but I sure as hell will try (NDAs not withstanding).

Soooo...my name is Alex Flagg and I've been a professional (i.e. receiving a paycheck) freelance RPG designer for about 6 months, but I have been designing games in the hopes of being a professional for 4 years. I started off with a little fantasy project (which still hope will one day see print), then moved on to video game design for Strike Force, then wrote another RPG, which is in negotiations to see print in about 2005 (we'll see).

I started my most successful project about 2 years ago, a d20 game currently codenamed Project X, as a gift to a friend. After working on the game for about 8 months and making what I felt was good progress, I ran into an awesome little game called Spycraft which happened to have a good bit in common with Project X. I got to know Spycraft's mastermind, Patrick Kapera, through email and we both came to agree that Project X could be a significant contribution to the Spycraft line. As we were tying up negotiations on how exactly Project X would work at Gencon 2002, Patrick hired me to work on Spycraft, where I cut my teeth on professional game design.

Since officially joining the team 8 months ago, I have worked on 6 books, including The Fixer/Pointman Class Guide (Goodfella prestige class, Organized Crime department); Shadowforce Archer: European Commonwealth (first seat mechanics, including all classes save the Assassin, all non-fringe feats, rules for presence/celebrity, psionic powers, the Shadownet and the Prague chase map); The Faceman/Snoop Class Guide (with Clayton Oliver - prestige classes, investigation rules, lots of stuff on persuasion and interpersonal interaction to the tune of 40,000 words); Most Wanted from Paradigm Concepts, a book of villains and villainous options for Spycraft masterminds; Shadowforce Archer: African Alliance (prestige classes, foot chase rules, gambling, skills and psionic powers); and Stargate (foot chase rules that may not make the final cut :( and perhaps some NPC classes). I'm a busy boy, with lots more work in the pike, including some work on Dragonstar with my good friend Will Hindmarch (fellow journeyman designer and owner of The Gist Mill), more SFA and Spycraft stuff for AEG and Paradigm, and of course Project X (soon!).

*phew* So that's me. More as it develops.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home