Bloggin' with AscentStudios

Join Alex's epic journey as he experiences the trials, tribulations, thrills and chills as an RPG designer...

Name:
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

Friday, October 05, 2007

Yeeeeeeargh!

Imagine that generic scream that was used in Doom and shows up in commercials all the time - yeah, that's what I've sounded like lately....

Good news - I've been promoted! My department at work has been consolidated with another group, and my boss has moved up, which put me into the role as the manager of web publishing and support (essentially, the webmaster). No title change (at my request - web content manager is a lucrative title, as it turns out), but a boost in pay, responsibility and what not has really put a crimp on my time. Over the last few weeks, I've had to engage in a week of usability testing on a web tool, manage a week of lightning fast revisions to the tool, then run a week of 2 hour training sessions to introduce the campus to what it *might* look like. This is the first week I've had where I'm not run ragged every day I come home...just *most* of the days. Still, I'm going to be much better off at work than I have in a long time (in many ways) and things are going really well.

Other good news - The Xbox showed up at my house last Wednesday. After all that stupid drama and confusion and wasted time, it turned out that MS had indeed replaced my console, invalidated the old serial, and was sending it back. Why he told me it was in Mexico, that my number was registered elsewhere, or that I had to explain to him customer service for his own company (and that I was right) will remain forever a mystery.

So, like a good little drone I ran out and picked up Halo 3, which is confusing as a campaign (it's a true sequel in that it has not back story to ease you in, and is DEEPLY entrenched in its own mythology) and somewhat frustrating as a multiplayer experience for a guy used to games like Rainbow 6 Vegas which have no bunny hopping, magic grenade throwing, or melee attacks. Still like R6 better, but I'm finding co-op and team multiplayer H3 with good people to be quite a bit of fun. Now if I can finally find a game that's not in the damn Snowbound map...

One of H3's coolest features is the theater (along with the Forge dynamic map editor), which you can do some really cool things to make and share videos. Plus, moments like this are not lost in the mists of time:

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chuckles said...

That's called the Wilhelm Scream and it has a more exhaustive Wikipedia page than Tucker Carlson does.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Chuckles said...

Holy shit that video was awesome. Almost as cool as my infamous simultaneous mine kill of 30 stormtroopers in Dark Forces. I was dubbed the best FPSer in the dorm for like two whole days in high school for that.

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home